At this time, access to the Witt Library, Conway Library and Photographic Survey is limited to Courtauld students and staff and strictly by appointment only.
To keep everyone safe, Courtauld students and staff must book in advance. There is no access for visitors.
The heart of the Conway Library is the private collection of Lord Conway of Allington, which came to The Courtauld Institute of Art in 1932. Since then, the Library has been developed continuously as a teaching and research collection. It now contains over one million images: photographs and cuttings of world architecture, architectural drawings and publications, sculpture, ivories, seals, metalwork, manuscript illumination, stained glass, wall paintings, panel paintings and textiles.
Since it came to The Courtauld over 80 years ago, the Conway Library has been built up by various means. Its stock of original photographs has been increased by donation and by buying negatives, and the Library has also commissioned photography in Britain and abroad. A large number of the photographs are the work of graduate students from The Courtauld Institute of Art, whose informed insights make the Library an especially valuable research tool.
The Conway collection also includes two smaller collections. The archive of 22,000 glass plates known as the De Laszlo Collection of Paul Laib Negatives includes images of works by many of the major artists working in Britain between 1900 and 1945. The archive of renowned architectural photographer Anthony Kersting (1916-2008) consists of over 160,000 images documenting the architecture of almost every European country, Asia, New Zealand, the Middle and Far East.
Separate from the main Library sequence and accessible by arrangement are the Conway’s holdings of historic photographs (mostly of architecture) and the late Edward B. Garrison’s collection of photographs of pre-1300 Italian painting.
Using the Image Libraries
The Conway Library is open to Courtauld staff and students with a pre-booked appointment
Digitising the Conway Library
As part of Courtauld Connects, we are digitising our photographic collections and making our full resolution digital images available online for the first time, enabling unprecedented public access. This has been possible with the incredible support of over 950 volunteers to date, who have generously contributed their time and enthusiasm. Our community of volunteers come from all walks of life and we provide an inclusive and positive space for people to learn new skills and meet new people.
If you’re interested in supporting this project you can contribute by transcribing the collection on World Architecture Unlocked.
+44 (0)20 3947 7633