Preparing For Your Course - The Courtauld Institute of Art

Preparing For Your Course

Search for:

Preparing For Your Course


New Students

Preparing For Your Course

Preparing For Your Course

This page functions had useful links to all the important information you’ll need ahead of starting in September. Please do read and follow all appropriate pages as listed below.

Important dates and documents

Welcome Week and Student Union activities start on Monday 28 September 2020, with the Autumn term beginning on Monday 5 October 2020. Whilst many of our activities this year will take place online, please ensure you are able to attend events across this entire period. Further details about Welcome Week will be emailed out in our Enrolment Update in early September.

31 July 2020: Accommodation Application Due

Accommodation Application Form

TBC July onward: Student Visa Applications (International Students only)

You cannot typically apply for a student visa before 1 July (3 months prior to your start date) as your visa will be refused. As such, we usually will not issue CAS’s until late-June at the earliest. We will also only issue your CAS once your offer is considered Unconditional.

We are still waiting for our allocation of CAS from UKVI, and will begin issuing CAS to eligible students as soon as they are made available to us. We will send an update via email to those impacted by this.

Further details about applying for a student visa

For general guidance on student immigration, please go to

31 August: Qualification(s) and English Language Exam Results Due

Degree and Qualification Results

If your offer is conditional, we require proof of your qualification(s). Please email a copy of an original final, official transcript to or

Please retain your original transcript to bring to Enrolment, even if you have already supplied an electronic copy of your transcript as part of your application.

This does not apply to students who are currently taking A or AS levels.

English Exam Results – We cannot issue you a CAS in support of a visa application if have not provided proof of passing your English Language Proficiency exam. Although you have until 31 August to supply your English Language Proficiency exam results, we would advise that you take the exam sooner so your visa application is not delayed.

10 September: University of London Intercollegiate Halls waiting list

10 September is the deadline for applications to the University of London Intercollegiate Halls waiting list should you still require accommodation after our initial allocation of accommodation.

The full enrolment schedule will be made available by early September. As we will be looking to reduce physical contact points this year, we will likely be looking to have flexible, online enrolment for most students.

International Students – All students subject to immigration control (including Study Abroad and returning students) must collect thier Bio-metric Residence Permit (BRP) prior to enrolment. Further information regarding this will be available at the start of September.

Reading lists for the various programmes and options we offer will be made available as they are approved by programme/option tutors. If the reading list for your programme/option does is not available by mid-July you may wish to contact your tutor directly.

MA History of Art Reading Lists 2020/21




As a student you will be entitled to access many discounts and benefits; however you must be enrolled first. As such, you will need to wait until after you are enrolled to receive any student status letters for libraries, banks or Council Tax exemption.


At the beginning of September you will be emailed an invoice for your tuition fees. You may contact our Finance Office to pay your tuition fees in advance of enrolment, though no payment is expected until your enrolment date. Information on how to pay fees can be found here.

If you are self-funding and wish to pay your fees in two instalments, you should fill out the Tuition Fee Special Arrangement Application and return it to our Finance Office along with a covering letter stating your reasons for the request. If you will be financing your studies through a student loan which you expect to receive in instalments, you will NOT need to fill out this form; you should simply present proof that you will be in receipt of a student loan at the time you enrol for your course.

Student Life

Students who have firmly accepted an offer for a course at least one academic year in duration are invited to complete an application form for the accommodation we offer. We also provide information on a range of external providers.

Student Accommodation

Our temporary home in King’s Cross can be found at Vernon Square, Penton Rise, Kings Cross, London WC1X 9EW

King’s Cross is home to one of the biggest and most exciting redevelopment projects in London. The 67-acre site is being transformed into a new vibrant part of the city with the likes of Google HQ, UAL Central St Martins Campus, and many new homes, shops, offices, galleries, bars, restaurants and schools, moving into the area.

The location has excellent transport links, throughout London via buses and tubes (including the 24-hour night tube on the Victoria Line). You can even go directly into central Paris, using the Eurostar at St Pancras train station, which is only a short walk away from the campus.

Our campus at Vernon Square will also ensure we remain by London’s Museum Mile. This central location will offer students easy access to a wealth of museums, galleries and libraries, including the British Library, the British Museum and The National Gallery.

There is a strong sense of community in King’s Cross, brought together by the canalside setting, an exciting cultural scene, and a thriving business community. It is modern, it is innovative, and we think it is a great location for our students and academics to study and thrive during our temporary move from Somerset House.

Living in London

Our students benefit from the best of both worlds – a close and intimate community within The Courtauld and the chance to engage and be a part of the larger University of London federation. The Courtauld Students’ Union represents the interests of all students and provides a base for social activity with a variety of activities, societies, outings and parties. Current societies include: Literature Society, Film Society, Theatre Society, Sports Society, Conservation Society, Law Society and many more.

Students’ Union

The Courtauld is able to offer you help and advice in a number of ways.  Most immediately this would be through your Personal Tutor, but you may also seek help, of various kinds, through The Courtauld’s Student and Staff Services Office, Academic and Learning Support, Gower Street Medical Practice, Counselling Service and the Students’ Union.

Student Support

Covid-19 / Coronavirus

We’re committed to the health and safety of our students and staff whilst maintaining our fantastic community and the world-class teaching that The Courtauld provides. As the global pandemic presents an ever-changing situation, we suggest you keep up to date with our response to the Coronavirus outbreak via our dedicated Coronavirus: Updates and FAQs page, alongside our adjusted 2020/21 teaching plans.

International Students

The Courtauld Institute of Art has a long tradition of welcoming students from all over the globe. We provide a world-class teaching whilst based in the heart of London, a truly international city, and The Courtauld’s graduates continue on to fill prestigious positions around the world as art historians, curators, journalists, art dealers and heads of major museums and galleries.

International students

Your status as a Home, EU or Overseas student is typically determined by residency.

Fee Status – Home, EU or Overseas?

Generally speaking, if you are normally resident outside of the UK/EU, and you do not hold UK/EU citizenship you will require a Tier 4 Student visa in order to enter the UK as a student. You will need to have made an application for a visa and be granted entry clearance as a student before travelling to the UK.

Visas and Immigration

As an international student it is important that you take the time to consider how you will access health care whilst in the UK. Access will be different depending on the length of your programme, your status as a Home, EU/EEA or Overseas student and whether or not you require a visa.

Healthcare for International Students

Share This

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Close