Healthcare for International Students - The Courtauld Institute of Art

Healthcare for International Students

Search for:



International students

Healthcare for International Students

Healthcare for International Students

As an international student it is important that you take the time to consider how you will access health care whilst in the UK.

As it is likely that healthcare is accessed differently in the UK than your home country, and that the right to access it may require action on your part, it is important that you determine how you will be covered before arriving – failure to do so may result in you being liable for any NHS (National Health Service) services that you use.

The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website provides detailed information on healthcare in the UK and how it can be accessed.

Students studying in the UK for 6 months or less - ie. Study Abroad

If your study in the UK will last six months or less and requires a short-term study visa – for example, if you are on a single/two term Study Abroad programme – you will need to obtain private medical insurance.

The Courtauld does not recommend any specific insurance companies – you may want to look at the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website for suggestions.

EU/EEA Students - European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

You will need an European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) to access NHS healthcare. You must apply for your EHIC before entering the UK – you can only apply for your EHIC from your home country.

With an EHIC:

  • EU/EEA students on programmes lasting more than 6 months can typically register with a General Practioniser (GP) for full NHS services.
  • EU/EEA students on programmes lasting less than 6 months cannot register with a GP, but may visit one as a temporary patient for advice and treatment if required. You will also only have access to primary care – you will not be referred to a specialist.

Comprehensive Sickness Insurance Advice

International Students on a visa - Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS)

International students on programmes lasting more than 6 months cannot apply for a Tier 4 visa without having first paid the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS).

The IHS will allow you full access to NHS services.

Further details can be found on the UK Visa and Immigration website.

Share This

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Close