Financial Support for Undergraduates - The Courtauld Institute of Art

Financial Support for Undergraduates

Search for:

Fees and Funding

Financial Support for Undergraduates

Financial Support for Undergraduates

Exterior of Vernon Square campus building

The James Hughes-Hallett Undergraduate Scholarship

The James Hughes-Hallett Undergraduate Scholarship has been established to support students who are from groups that are underrepresented in UK Higher Education. The scholarship will be provided to three UK undergraduate students each academic year, beginning 2021/22. The scholarship is worth £10,000 over the duration of your three-year degree.

Find out more

The Courtauld Bursary – Entry 2020/21

The Courtauld Bursary provides financial support for your maintenance and living costs on a sliding scale for Home undergraduates registered as students at The Courtauld Institute of Art who meet set Widening Participation criteria. The Bursary is aimed at supporting students to study at The Courtauld who come from under-represented groups in higher education.

Find out more

Home/EU Student Loan

Home/EU students may be able to borrow money to help pay for university or college tuition fees and to help with living costs.

You might get extra money on top of this, for example if you’re on a low income, are disabled or have children.

Student Finance Website

Undergraduate Funding Support - FAQs

How much are the tuition fees?

With effect from September 2017, the Courtauld Institute of Art will charge an annual tuition fee of £9250 for all UK and EU students embarking on our full- time BA History of Art programme, as approved by the Office for Fair Access (see the OFFA agreement in full).

When will I repay my SLC loan?

The Government has proposed that you would not start to repay your loans until you are earning more than £21000 per year, when your repayments will be linked to your rate of pay. You will need to repay 9% of your income above £21000 per year. For repayment purposes, your tuition fee loan and maintenance loan will be combined.

Further, up-to-date information can be found on the Student Loans Company website:

What money will I get in my SLC loan?

You will need to wait until February to apply for student finance for courses if you are a UK student. If you are an EU student you can apply from April.

To cover the costs of studying you can apply for:

  • a Tuition Fee Loan, to cover your tuition fees in full
  • a Maintenance Loan for living costs like rent (full-time students only)
  • a Maintenance Grant, if your household income is less than £42,600 and you qualify through our widening access eligibility criteria

Tuition Fee loan

You can get a Tuition Fee Loan of up to:

  • £9250 for new full-time students

The Tuition Fee Loan is paid directly to your university or college.

If you’re an EU student from outside the UK, you can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan if you meet certain conditions.

The loan is paid directly to the institution at which you study and you will have to pay this loan back.

Maintenance loan

Only full-time, UK domiciled students can get Maintenance Loans for their living costs. You may have to give details of your household income.

The maximum Maintenance Loan for new students whose funding body is Student Finance England was, as of 2018/19:

  •  £11,002 per year if studying in London and living away from home.
  •  £7,097 per year if you’re studying in London and living at home.

Students receiving tuition and maintenance loans from other funding bodies will need to check the relevant website for that funding body for further details.

These loans are paid into your bank account at the start of each term, once you’ve registered on your course, and you will have to pay this loan back.

Students with children or dependants 

Students in this category may be eligible for support from the following:

  • Childcare Grant
  • Parents’ Learning Allowance
  • Adult Dependants’ Grant
  • Access to Leaning Fund
  • Child Tax Credit

Students with disabilities

Students in this category may be eligible for support from the following:

  • Disabled Students’ Allowance
  • Access to Learning Fund
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Incapacity benefit
How do I apply for my SLC loan?

For students to be eligible for funding from Student Finance England, they must be studying on an eligible course at a provider registered with the Office for Students (OfS).The OfS is the new independent regulator for higher education in England and all higher education providers need to register with the OfS for their students to be eligible for student support in the 2019-20 academic year. The OfS will start publishing providers on its Register from July 2018. We have made an application to register and expect a decision by September 2018. No provider will be able to confirm whether student support is available until it has a decision from the OfS. Visit for more information.

How to Apply

You can apply for student finance when you receive your firm offer of a place at The Courtauld and up to nine months after the start of the academic year.

  1. Where you live determines which site you must visit.
    a. England
    b. Scotland

    c. Wales

    d. Northern Ireland
  2. Set up a student finance account
  3. Log into your account and comple the online application form
  4. Send in evidence, such as proof of your identity or household income, if you are asked for it
  5. Sign and return the loan declaration you receive in the post then
  6. Send the admissions team at The Courtauld a copy of your “Student Finance Breakdown” statement as soon as you receive it
  7. We will determine your eligibility for support and inform you accordingly.
Parent's guide to student finance from Student Finance England

Student Finance England have produced a series of videos to help parents understand the student loan process. This is available here: Parent’s Guide to student finance


International Students

International students are encouraged to look at similar student finance schemes from their country of origin available to studies studying overseas.

Other Resources

Further information about grants and loans may be obtained from the following sources:

Share This

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Close