Health, Wellbeing & Student Support - The Courtauld Institute of Art

Health, Wellbeing & Student Support

Search for:

Health, Wellbeing & Student Support

The Courtauld offers support to disabled students through the Student Wellbeing Team.

You’re disabled under the Equality Act 2010 if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a ‘substantial’ and ‘long-term’ negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities.

This can include mental health difficulties, physical and sensory conditions and specific learning difficulties.

Reasonable adjustments and exam arrangements can be made by making an appointment with a member of the Wellbeing Team; email for more information and to request an appointment or follow this link for FAQs.

You can apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances and more information about the application process and the evidence you need to submit is available here.

DSAs may include funding for:

  • Non-medical help including specialist study skills tutors and mentors
  • Equipent
  • Assistive technology

Sudents with DSAs may be awarded a computer and asked to pay £200 in costs towards that. The Courtauld will pay that on students’ behalf, and students can apply via this form.

If you have (or suspect you have) a specific learning difficulty (SpLD) such as dyslexia or dyspraxia or if your diagnostic assessment is more than five years old, you can contact or for advice and information about assessment and support. If appropriate, we can refer students to a partner organization for assessment and the cost of the test will be covered by the Courtauld.

If you’d like to find out more about SpLDs, follow this link for information guides and contact our Specialist Study Skills Tutor for an appointment


1. Health Matters

1.1 Registering with a doctor

It is important that you are registered with an NHS doctor in London, to ensure that you have access to medical services when you need them. If you live in the postcodes listed below, you can register at Gower Street Practice, which has a longstanding association with The Courtauld. The practice is located a short walk from Vernon Square, and offers a full range of medical services, including a travel clinic, lifestyle clinics and counselling services. and a large practice area:

EC1, EC2, EC3, EC4, N1, N4, N5, N6, N7, N8, N10, N11*, N13, N15, N16, N17, N19, N22, NW1, NW3, NW5, NW6*, NW8, SW1, SW3, SW5, SW6*, SW7, SW10*, W1, W2, W8, W9, W10*, W11*, W14*, WC1, WC2.

*Parts of these postcode areas fall outside our area (there are also other limited exceptions).

If you do not live in the postcodes listed above, you can still attend the practice for emergencies. All Courtauld students can access the counselling service at Gower Street Practice, irrespective of where they live or their registration status.

More details are available from the Gower Street Practice’s website: and from their Office:


Gower Street Practice

20 Gower Street, London


Tel: 0207 467 6800

Local emergencies

The nearest Accident and Emergency departments to The Courtauld are University College London Hospital, 235 Euston Road, Bloomsbury, London NW1 2BU and St Thomas’ Hospital, Lambeth Palace Road, Bishop’s London, SE1 7EH. Otherwise, call 999 if you need help straight away.

NHS services

If you live outside of the above listed postcode areas, you can still access the main services provided on the NHS, from GPs and dentists to hospital and emergency care, using the links listed below.

The NHS App owned and run by the NHS, the NHS App is a simple and secure way to access a range of NHS services on your smartphone or tablet.

Urgent and emergency care: services the NHS provides if you need urgent or emergency medical help.

Hospitals: about NHS hospitals, including going into hospital, staying in hospital and being discharged.

GPs: -about GP services, including how to find and register with a local GP and how to book an appointment.

1.2 Accessing other NHS services

Dentists: about NHS dental services, including how to find an NHS dentist and how much treatment costs

Pharmacies: How pharmacists can help you with medical advice and medicines

Mental Health Services: information about NHS mental health services

Sexual health services: information about NHS sexual health services.

Opticians: where to find an optician and what happens when you see them

Visiting or moving to England: Advice about healthcare if you’re planning to visit or move to England

NHS COVID app:  You must be aged 13 and over and registered with a GP with a GP surgery in England.

2. Wellbeing issues

2.1 Support with mental health

We know that experiencing mental health difficulties at university can feel overwhelming. However, there are lots of types of support available to you while you are study at The Courtauld. We aim to provide a confidential, unbiased, non-judgemental listening service to students and signpost them to appropriate support services.

The Wellbeing Service   is a first point of call for students who are experiencing any form of personal, health, financial or welfare issues which may be affecting their studies. We will provide guidance for students with a disability, mental or long-term health conditions and can help students apply for Disabled Students Allowance (DSA), which may, for example, include the funding for a Mental Health Mentor. We can also arrange for reasonable adjustments such as extra time in assessments and exams, access to specialist equipment and assistive software, library assistance in the form of extended book loans, assistance to locate and/or collect research materials, access to course materials in alternative formats and advocate special circumstances to be considered during periods of illness.

Contact: Students can email with their enquiry

The Courtauld Counselling service (see 2.2 for details)

Student Mind offers a range of support programmes. One of these programmes is a new platform, Student Space, which was launched in July 2020 with development led by students.

The programme is designed to complement the mental health support already in place through universities, colleges and NHS services in England and Wales – filling potential gaps in provision and ensuring that all students have access to support they need.

Providing both preventative support and immediate interventions, Student Space will aim to limit the mental health impact of the pandemic on students and deliver support where it is most needed – for example for those experiencing distress or trauma. It will:

  • offer immediate help for students in distress through therapeutic interventions – this may include text support, phone listening and guided cognitive behavioural therapy
  •  provide educational resources to help students manage stress and maintain good mental health and wellbeing in the context of the pandemic
  • curate a range of quality-assured online resources, such as guidance, apps, peer support platforms, and volunteering opportunities.

The final content of the programme is being developed in response to emerging student need, with services developed based on ongoing evaluation and assessment.

Mental Health First Aid Champions

We also have group of staff members trained as Mental Health First Aid Champions; their details are listed below:

Name of trained person Building Floor Location
Keeley Bowtell Vernon Square 2nd Floor Student and Academic Services


Thaddeus Bebb Somerset House MZ Somerset House/Duchy House
Susan Horsfield Vernon Square Reception Reception
Yelena D’Attoma Vernon Square 2nd Floor Student and Academic Services
Vicky Falconer Vernon Square Library Library
Elara Shurety Vernon Square Library Library
Abdul Arush Somerset House Somerset House Somerset House


Mental Health First Aider -2 day trained 

Name of trained person Building Floor Location
Anjali Thakariya Vernon Square 2nd Floor Student and Academic Services Office


Online mental health resources

Besides the support offered by the Wellbeing Managers, Courtauld Student Counsellors and your GP, there are many useful websites and services that can help with mental health issues:

  • Mental Health Foundation: A-Z on mental health. Publications on tips and advice on how to look after your own mental health.
  • Mind: Publications for adults with information about various conditions, treatment options, and practical issues.
  • Papyrus: Tips for students and information on talking about suicide.
  • Royal College of Psychiatrists: Information on how to get help and about the various mental health conditions.
  • Student Minds: Information of different mental health difficulties and tips.
  • The Mix: A range of services and information for you adults, including mental health, finance, housing and others.
  • Transitions: A resource for students who are starting university.
  • Youth access: A directory, which gives information about local voluntary sector services for 15-25-year olds that provide range of provision under one roof, for example counselling, drug advice, and others. Especially useful for students living outside the Borough of Westminster.
  • Samaritans are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, to listen to anything that is upsetting you, including intrusive thoughts and difficult thoughts of suicide and self-harm. Their national freephone number is 116 123, or you can email Samaritans also offer a Welsh Language Line on 0300 123 3011 (from 7pm–11pm only, seven days a week)
  • SANEline offers emotional support and information from 6pm–11pm, 365 days a year. Their national number is 0300 304 7000.
  • If you are a man experiencing distressing thoughts and feelings, the Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM) is there to support you. They’re open from 5pm–midnight, 365 days a year. Their national number is 0800 58 58 58, and they also have a webchat service if you’re not comfortable talking on the phone.
  • Support Line provides a confidential telephone helpline offering emotional support to any individual on any issue. The Helpline is primarily a preventative service and aims to support people before they reach the point of crisis. It is particularly aimed at those who are socially isolated, vulnerable, at risk groups and victims of any form of abuse. SupportLine is a member of the Helplines Association. Helpline: 01708 765 200
  • Switchboard, the LGBT+ helpline. If you identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender, Switchboard is available from 10am–11pm, 365 days a year, to listen to any problems you’re having. Phone operators all identify as LGBT+. Their national number is 0300 330 0630, or you can email
2.2 Support with emotional difficulties

The Courtauld has two Counsellors, Nancy Bell (UKCP Reg) and Carla Preston (BACP Accred) normally based in the Counselling Room (Meeting Room 2), next to the Careers Room, although currently working online using Zoom.

How counselling can help?

Counselling enables you to talk openly through your issues with a caring and supportive, but uninvolved professional, where other sources of support, such as family or friends are too close to be neutral or may be part of the problem. As such, you may find it helpful to talk to an experienced counsellor in a confidential setting, without fear of being judged. That is not to say that counselling replaces family and friends. And it can also involve a certain degree of challenge. This is a necessary part of the process. So how can it help?

The counsellor will provide you with an opportunity to:

  • make sense of what is happening to you
  • identify the cause of particular problems
  • explore your thoughts and feelings
  • enable a greater sense of self-awareness and insight
  • explore destructive patterns of behaviour
  • help you look at the alternative options and make better choices
  • help you decide on the best course of action

Acceptance and respect for each individual is a vital part of the process. It means that you can be confident that you will not be judged and a relationship based on mutual trust is able to develop. The aim of counselling is to encourage you to find your own solutions. It is not about giving advice or instruction.

Due to the Covid-19 outbreak, the Counselling team are working remotely via Zoom for yet undetermined period.



Appointments are available on Monday, Wednesdays & Thursdays

You can make an appointment by emailing:

Please can you complete the registration form and return it to when requesting an appointment

Drop-in sessions

We provide drop in sessions which allow you to access a counsellor at short notice.

  • 20 min drop-in sessions are available on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday at 12.30

To attend a drop-in session please  email between 12 & 12.15pm on the day.  This is a first-come first-served service.


  • If you are unable to keep an appointment please inform us at least 24 working hours beforehand by e-mailing

In Crisis?

  • Please note the Courtauld Counselling service is not an emergency service
  • If you are in crisis: contact your GP, call Samaritans on 08457 90 90 90, call Nightline, or visit your nearest A&E.


2.3 Out of hours services and crisis


If you are experiencing emotional distress, including thoughts of suicide, the Samaritans provide a 24-hour confidential listening service.



T: 116 123


Run for and by students, Nightline provides the opportunity to talk to or instant message someone about anything you like. It is an independent, non-judgmental listening, support and information service with no political, religious or moral bias. You may drop in for coffee and a chat. There is always one male and one female in the office. Confidentiality is assured and you do not have to give your name. W: E:

T: 0207 631 0101

You are in a crisis – who can you contact?

If you or someone you know is at risk of suicide or harming themselves or others, these are the things you can do. 

You can:

  • Go to your nearest Accident and Emergency department (A&E)
  • Call 999.

If you or the person you know is at risk of suicide or harming yourself or others, but you are unlikely to act on your feelings right now. Who can you contact?

You can contact:

  • Your local NHS crisis team. The crisis team support people who are in a mental health crisis and need urgent help.  You might need a medical or social care professional to refer you to the team. But you can ask the team about this if you aren’t sure. Sometimes you can refer yourself.  You can find details of your local crisis team by putting the following into an internet search engine, “[Name of county, city, town or London borough] crisis team.” Or you can ask your GP surgery or call NHS 111.
  • Your local NHS Single Point of Access for mental health services team if you have one. Some areas have these teams but not all. You can call them, and they refer you to the right mental health support for you.  They can refer you to the local crisis team or other services. You can find details of your single point of access team by putting the following into an internet search engine, “[Name of county, city, town or London borough] single point of access team.” Or you can ask your GP surgery or call NHS 111.
  • Your NHS mental health team, if you are with one. You might be with an NHS mental health team like the Community Mental Health Team (CMHT).  If you are you can get in touch with your point of contact, there. This might be someone like your care co-ordinator, support worker or CPN.  If you have a copy of your care plan it should say who you can contact if you are in crisis.
  • Your GP. GPs usually keep some appointments free for urgent cases. Your GP can make a referral to the local crisis team if necessary.
  • NHS 111. The line is for when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergency. You can call 111 if you don’t know who to call or you don’t have a GP to call.  Or if you need health information or reassurance about what to do next.
  • Shout text service: You can text Shout to 85258 to connect to a trained person to help you. See  for more information.
2.4  Accessing support if you consider yourself to be disabled or have long term health or mental health conditions.

Reasonable adjustments and exam arrangements can be made by making an appointment with a member of the Wellbeing Team; email  for more information and to request an appointment or follow this link for FAQs.

You can apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances and more information about the application process and the evidence you need to submit is available here.

If you have (or suspect you have) a specific learning difficulty (SpLD) such as dyslexia or dyspraxia or if your diagnostic assessment is more than five years old, you can contact  or  for advice about assessment and support. If appropriate, we can refer students to a partner organization for assessment and the cost of the test will be covered by the Courtauld.

If you’d like to find out more about SpLDs, follow this link for information guides and contact our Specialist Study Skills Tutor for an appointment

2.5. Support with problems relating to your lifestyle choices

Drugs and Alcohol

Drug abuse and excessive alcohol intake can put your health and academic progress at risk and could lead to disciplinary issues. If you are concerned about drugs and/or alcohol, speak to your Personal Tutor or the Wellbeing Team. Below are some external organisations which can help students who are facing difficulties with drugs and alcohol.

  • Addiction Guide is a website resource on addiction and the dangers of illicit substances. The site covers how drugs and alcohol affect the body, how to identify the signs and symptoms of abuse, and where to seek effective treatment. Our mission is to guide you and your loved ones to a healthier life.
  • Al-Anon offers support for family members and friends of those with alcohol problems
  • Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.
  • Blenheim Project supports for those with drug-related concerns. Tel: +44 (0)20 8960 5599. Open 10am-5pm.
  • Club Drug Clinic is an NHS service helping people who are having problems with resulting from recreational drugs.
  • Club Soda offers various plans to help people be more mindful about their drinking.
  • Drinkline is a freephone helpline offering help and support on alcohol related issues. 0800 917 82 82.
  • Down your drink offers an online programme to help people cut down and control drinking, and
  • Drinkaware promotes responsible drinking and works to reduce alcohol misuse and harm in the UK.
  • London drug and alcohol network lists alcohol and drugs service in London boroughs
  • Marijuana Anonymous supports people to recover from marijuana addiction.
  • Narcotics Anonymous a support network for addicts.
  • Talk to Frank is a 24-hour information and advice for anyone concerned about drug or solvent misuse. Run by the National Drugs Helpline.


Gambling can put your academic progress at risk and could lead to financial issues. If you are concerned about gambling, speak to your Personal Tutor or the Wellbeing Team. Below is an external organisation which can help students who are facing difficulties with gambling.

  • Gamblers Anonymous offers the hand of friendship to anyone who is looking to try and stop gambling.

3. Student support

3.1 Students with difficulties attending class

Attendance Requirements

The Courtauld places a strong emphasis on enhancing the student experience by providing a supportive and inclusive learning environment. To maximise the student experience and ultimately success on the programme, student attendance and engagement with the programme is considered as key.  Lack of engagement with the programme may also allow us to identify students who require additional support or may be at risk of academic failure or interruption of their studies. To benefit fully from your programme, you are expected to attend all required timetabled activities, including lectures, tutorials, Academic Skills sessions, Personal Tutor meetings, study trips and language classes at the LSE.

Structured support for poor attendance:

The Attendance and Engagement Policy is accessible from The Courtauld website and it specifies that you should attend all your required timetabled activities. If your attendance falls below 80%, you will be contacted by the Wellbeing team to find out whether they can offer you support, so that you can improve your attendance.  We have an online attendance system, SEAtS, which allows you to confirm attendance at teaching activities and to request approval for any authorised absence.  If you cannot attend a lecture due to ill health or other issues, please logon to the SEAtS system to inform us you cannot attend and the reasons for this. This will automatically inform the relevant staff.

If you have a disability, mental health or long-term medical condition, which may affect your attendance, do let the Wellbeing Manager know at the start of the academic year.

If you are absence from lectures or other teaching activities then you will be emailed about your non-attendance and asked to meet with either your Personal Tutor, the Wellbeing Manager or the Associate Dean for Students.

Tier 4 Visa Student Engagement

All universities are required by UKVI to monitor 10 (ten) contact points evenly distributed throughout the academic year, to ensure that all students on a Tier 4 visa are both attending and engaged with their programme of study.  The ten contact points are a mixture of face to face and remote contact points.

Contact points for the purposes of Tier 4 monitoring are:

  • Submission of coursework and attendance at examinations
  • Attendance at meetings with your Personal Tutor
  • Use of the Virtual Learning Environment – Moodle and Library activity
  • Attendance at teaching and learning events, such as lecturers and seminars.

Your Timetable

The SEAtS attendance monitoring system will also hold your timetable and can be found on our mobile app.

Downloading the SEAtS App

You will be required to download the attendance monitoring app to your phone, and we will show you, how to do this during Welcome Week or at your course induction sessions. You can also access the SEAtS Student Guide and video (to be uploaded shortly) from the VLE.

3.2 Academic support available

Personal Tutors

Every student at The Courtauld is allocated a Personal Tutor for the duration of their studies. If for any reason you do not wish to contact your Personal Tutor you should contact the Associate Dean for Students. You can contact the Wellbeing Team at for their contact details.

  • BA students: Your Personal Tutor is allocated at the start of your degree.
  • Graduate Diploma students: Your Personal Tutor is the Graduate Diploma Coordinator.
  • Post Graduate Diploma – Conservation of Easel Paintings students: Your Personal Tutor is given to you in your first year.
  • MA History of Art students: Your Personal Tutor is your course tutor.
  • MA Curating students: Your Personal Tutor is Martin Caiger-Smith.
  • MPhil/PhD students: Your Personal Tutor is your supervisor. If you prefer not to speak to your supervisor, you can speak to the Head of Research Degrees, Dr Stephen.Whiteman.

The following is designed to give you a clear idea of the basic responsibilities of your Personal Tutor towards you and of the basic obligations that you have as a student.

The responsibilities of the Personal Tutor include:

(a)       maintaining regular contact. For BA and Diploma students this means meeting students at the beginning of the first term, and then during the second week of subsequent terms and during office hours or by appointment at the student’s request;

(b)       following up unexplained absences from classes.  Personal Tutors are notified of all your absences.  Two unexplained absences may lead to a formal meeting with your Personal Tutor;

(c)       giving guidance on course selections for future BA2 and BA3 students;

(d)       discussing progress reports submitted by BA course tutors;

(e)       giving guidance on assessment procedures, and advice on improving examination performance;

(f)        signposting you to appropriate advice for personal or medical support. Personal Tutors are not trained to provide financial, medical or mental health advice, but they should be able to direct you to professionals who can provide this advice.

The responsibilities of students include:

  • attending meetings arranged by the Personal Tutor, whether you have matters of your own to raise, and responding to what is discussed;
  • informing your course tutors in writing, in advance if you must be absent. Please inform Student Services by emailing, copying in your class teachers;
  • taking the initiative in raising with the Personal Tutor any problems or difficulties affecting your academic work;
  • giving the Personal Tutor enough information about course preferences and general academic aims;
  • responding promptly to messages from your Personal Tutor

Royal Literary Fund Fellows

Lucasta Miller and Lucy Lethbridge can help you to improve your academic writing skills, reading strategies and organisation of material. If you would like to improve your style, clarity or argument, if you need help with structure, tone, or simply getting to grips with the writing process, please do get in touch with them. (Note: this is not an editing or proofreading service).

Lucasta and Lucy are both professional writers and offer support to Courtauld students thanks to the Royal Literary Fund’s Fellowship Scheme. The RLF website has a very useful guide to writing essays.

To make an appointment email either OR  but please don’t contact both Fellows at once as they have independent booking systems.

Ideally, they will look at some of your written work in advance and then discuss it with you in person at the meeting. Please state in your email the times you are not available, so that they can allocate you a session that fits in with your schedule. It’s best to book well in advance, if possible. If you leave it until the week your essay is due, you may find there are no free slots.

If you find you can’t make the appointment, please email them as soon as possible so that they can use your time for someone else. Students can book one or two tutorials per term, and sessions are available for any Courtauld student, from BA to PhD.

Academic Skills Tutor

Anjali Thakariya offers advice on skills specific to Art History, including research, visual analysis and presentation. She can also help you to understand essay feedback, develop revision strategies, or cope with last minute essay panic. Any student can make an appointment with Anjali: please email her to book an appointment. Anjali is based in the third floor at Vernon Square.

  • Support is available for any student who feels they need some additional assistance with academic writing conventions, speaking for presentations or any other aspect of academic work (reading, research etc)
  • One to ones; drop-ins; workshops
  • Please note that this is not an editing or proof-reading service
  • VLE academic support can be found here
  • Email Anjali Thakariya for an appointment or advice:

Specialist Study Skills Tutor

The Courtauld also has a Specialist Study Skills tutor, who offers 1:1 study skills support to students with study skills recommended in their diagnostic report and/or medical evidence. This includes students with specific learning differences, mental health concerns and autistic spectrum condition.

How can the Specialist Study Skills Tutor help?

The support offered by the Specialist Study Skills Tutor is student centred, designed around individual academic needs and complies with the social model of disability.

Specialist study skills can help with:

Understanding: how you approach challenges, how you learn best and how you can succeed

Strategies: techniques to be effective in reading, writing, planning and all other aspects of study

Assistive technology: how you can make the most of technology designed to make you an independent and effective student

Communication: develop the confidence to ask the right questions, stay in touch with people who can help you and respond when you need to

Organisation and planning: learn to organise your time well so you have time for studying, writing and wellbeing


Students can either attend a drop in session or book an appointment at this address:

3.3 Support when experiencing financial difficulties

The Courtauld Hardship Fund

The Courtauld Hardship Fund provides short-term emergency funds to meet the immediate financial needs of students registered at The Courtauld Institute of Art.  It is intended to provide support for short-term urgent needs, such as living costs and rent and cannot be used in payment of tuition fees.  Undergraduate students who require regular long-term funding are advised to consider applying for a Courtauld Bursary.

Eligibility criteria

To be eligible you must meet all the criteria below:

  • You must be enrolled as a student at The Courtauld (either full time or part time).
  • You must have applied for all other eligible sources of funding before applying to The Courtauld Hardship Fund. This could include means tested maintenance student loans and grants, Child Tax Credits, Housing Benefit, Parents Learning Allowance, Childcare Grant, Council Tax Reduction.
  • If your financial difficulties are Covid-19 related, you do not need to have applied for other sources of funding.  You can apply direct to The Courtauld Hardship Fund for support, stating how Covid-19 has impacted on your financial situation.
  • You must be able to demonstrate that you have made reasonable provision to cover your tuition fees and living expenses, for which supporting evidence is required. This will require submitting financial information, such as your bank statements.
  • No financial support can be provided towards payment of tuition fees under any circumstances.
  • You can only apply once during the academic year for Hardship Funding.

Assessment and notification

Applications can only be assessed once your online application form and all required supporting documents have been submitted.  Supporting documents include bank statements for the three months up to the date of your application, Student Loan letters and other relevant evidence to support your claim.

Applications are assessed in the order of receipt.  The assessment will be made based on your income and outgoings, and your personal circumstances.

We will normally make our assessment within 48 hours during the working week.  If your financial situation is desperate, an immediate payment of £50 (in cash) will be made to you on the day of your application.

You do not have to repay Hardship funds.

The maximum award for a full-time student is £500.  Payments will normally be made by Bank Transfer to your account.

The Hardship Fund is limited, so once all the funds have been allocated to students, the Hardship Fund will close for the academic year.

We will contact you via your Courtauld email address to notify you of the outcome of your application.

3.4 Support when you are faced with circumstances beyond your control

The Extenuating Circumstances Policy sets out, for both students and staff, what should be done when you, a student, experiences an unexpected non-academic incident (extenuating circumstance) which could have an impact on your preparation or ability to sit examinations or submit an assessment.  Extenuating Circumstances are defined as events which are unexpected, significantly disruptive and beyond your control. This definition also includes sudden, unexpected changes in family circumstances, which might affect your ability to make academic progress because of demonstrable emotional impact upon you.

The Courtauld is aware that it may be difficult to disclose personal details in these circumstances, but The Courtauld is committed to supporting student through difficult or sensitive circumstances and ensuring that this information remains confidential. Click here to view student policies, including the Extenuating Circumstances Policy and forms that outlines our responsibilities to you in respect of holding sensitive and personal information.  If you feel inhibited from talking to a tutor or other member of staff in the first instance, you can to talk to a member of the Students’ Union or staff in Student and Academic Services for initial, informal advice.

This Extenuating Circumstances Policy only applies to summative assessments (including examinations) that contribute to your final mark. It also includes marks for BA1 exams, which although these do not count to the overall grade of your degree, students are required to achieve a pass mark to progress to the second year.

The Courtauld operates an evidence-based policy to ensure that all claims are dealt with fairly and no student is either advantaged or disadvantaged by the Policy. This Policy applies to all students undertaking the following courses of study at The Courtauld.

Fit to Sit

The Courtauld has a Fit to Sit policy.  This means that if you sit an exam or submit an assessment you are declaring yourself well enough to do so.  Therefore, if you believe that you are unlikely to perform to the best of your ability in an assessment/examination, you are strongly advised not to take the assessment and to submit an Extenuating Circumstances claim. Claims must not be submitted as an insurance against poor performance in assessment/examinations.  By submitting an Extenuating Circumstances claim you are confirming that your circumstances are severe and have impacted on your assessment.  Submitting false claims or evidence is a serious matter and will be dealt with under The Courtauld’s disciplinary procedures.

3.5 Support if you are dissatisfied with your experience at The Courtauld

Student Complaints

The Courtauld places a strong emphasis on enhancing the student experience by providing a supportive and inclusive learning environment and is committed to providing a high-quality educational experience for all students, reflected in excellent academic, administrative and pastoral support. Our aim is to ensure that every student is satisfied with their experience at The Courtauld. This process applies to all students studying at The Courtauld (undergraduate, postgraduate and research).

The Courtauld welcomes constructive comment from students. It hopes that most problems met by students will be resolved through the normal systems of student support, programme administration or the Students’ Union. We strongly encourage resolution of this kind and a student wishing to make representation under this Complaints Policy must have pursued informal resolution prior to bringing a formal complaint.

It is recognised that from time to time problems do arise and students may wish to express concern or dissatisfaction with aspects of The Courtauld or the quality of services provided. The Courtauld’s Student Complaints process is to encourage feedback regarding perceived problems so that they can be addressed, and improvements made to the student experience. The Courtauld sees the handling and monitoring of complaints as an important aspect of its quality assurance procedures. If you would like to submit a complaint, please view the policy and access the complaints form here.

Student Appeals

The Courtauld’s Student Appeals Regulations are applicable in respect of examinations for first degrees and postgraduate taught degrees and diplomas offered by the Institute.

The sole grounds for making an appeal are that there was such procedural defect in the conduct of the examination, in accordance with the relevant Instructions and/or Regulations, or in the subsequent processing of scripts or assessed coursework or marks (including the proceedings of Boards of Examiners) as to render the decision of the examiners unsafe. Exceptionally it shall be permissible, subject to these Regulations, to present evidence such as medical or compassionate evidence as part of the appeal provided that in the opinion of the Deputy Director there was good reason for such evidence not to have been presented earlier.

The academic judgement of a Board of Examiners, having acted according to all relevant regulations and procedures, shall not be called into question by these regulations.

Any representation shall be made within one month of the decision of the Board of Examiners to which it relates, unless, having regard to the circumstances of a case, the Director determines that a representation made outside this period be allowed. You can submit an appeal for a taught programme here and you can submit an appeal for the research programme here.

3.6 Help if you feel in danger on campus or in your personal life

Harassment and Bullying

The Courtauld has a firm commitment to equality of opportunity and so to ensuring an environment in which the dignity of individuals is respected. The purpose of this process is to assist in developing a working and learning environment in which harassment and bullying are known to be unacceptable and where individuals have the confidence to complain about such behaviour, if it should arise, in that knowledge that their concerns will be dealt with appropriately and fairly.

This process applies to all employees, permanent, fixed term or temporary, consultants, contractors, agency staff, volunteers, interns, self-employed people with a contract for services and any other individual who works for The Courtauld. Every person working for The Courtauld will be accountable for the operation of its Harassment and Bullying Policy as they carry responsibility for their own behaviour and actions, on and off site during working hours or any activity associated with their employment. Should you have been a victim of harassment and/or bullying and wish to submit a complaint, please find more details here.

Domestic Violence

Domestic violence can put your mental health and academic progress at risk and could lead to other personal issues. If you are concerned about domestic violence, speak to your Personal Tutor or the Wellbeing Team. Below is an external organisation which can help students who are facing difficulties with domestic violence.

National Domestic Violence Helpline – The 24hr freephone National Domestic Violence Helpline (run in partnership between Women’s Aid and Refuge) is available on 0808 2000 247 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It is answered by fully trained female helpline support workers and volunteers who will answer your call-in confidence. All calls to the helpline are free from mobiles and landlines.

4. Getting support at The Courtauld 20-21: FAQs

Due to Covid-19, all Wellbeing services are currently online and we can arrange video meetings with you via Microsoft Teams or Zoom.

4.1 I had exam arrangements & support at school. Can I have the same at university?

Yes, you need to provide us with evidence that recommends that. This might be:

  • A report or Form 8 from school
  • A full diagnostic assessment
  • Medical evidence

I don’t have any evidence. What should I do?

You can contact school or college and ask them to send you something.

If they can’t help, see below for how to get evidence.

I have a report and/or medical evidence. What should I do?

Send it to – we will:

  • Use it to write a Summary of Reasonable Adjustments (SORA) which requests reasonable adjustments and exam arrangements.
  • Get your consent to share
  • Show it to you so you can change or agree it
  • Share it with appropriate staff at the university.

When will the adjustments I need be in place?

As soon as we have the evidence and have agreed a SORA with you, we will send that to the faculty. The sooner you send evidence, the sooner we can put adjustments and exam arrangements in place.

4.2 I think I might have a Specific learning difficulty (SpLD*) but I've never had an assessment. What should I do? (*eg. dyslexia, dyspraxia, ADHD, autism)

Contact us at to discuss getting an assessment and report.

Complete a checklist and if appropriate, we will make a referral to an assessor.

4.3 I have a medical/mental health condition that affects my studies. What should I do?

Send evidence from a GP or consultant to – we will use it to write a Summary of Reasonable Adjustments (SORA) to request reasonable adjustments and exam arrangements.

We’ll share that with you before we share it with others at the university.

4.4 What other support can I get at university?

Specialist Study Skills

You may be eligible for 1:1 support from the Specialist Study Skills Tutorand you can contact us at or to discuss that.


You may be able to see one of the university counsellors.

Appointments are available on Monday – Friday. You can make an appointment by emailing:

Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA)

If you have evidence (a diagnostic report, a GP or hospital letter), you can apply for Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA). Find out more at

What sort of evidence do I need for DSA?

You need something that explains that your condition or SpLD is long term and affects you in daily life and your studies.

If you don’t already have medical evidence, you can ask your doctor to complete a form, found here.

4.5 I am unable to meet my deadlines because of a disability related issue. What should I do?

All students who have previously declared a disability and registered with the Wellbeing Service are eligible for up to 7 days (5 working days) extension to a published deadline.

For any additional time, apply through the Extenuating Circumstances process.

The appropriate form can be found here or by emailing

The policies around this have been reviewed in the light of Covid-19, and can be found on the website here.

4.6 I am unable to do my exam because of a disability related issue. What should I do?

if you are not well or have been affected by the pandemic before the exam, please request an opportunity to resit through the Extenuating Circumstances process.

The appropriate form can be found here or by emailing

The policies around this have been reviewed in the light of Covid-19, and can be found on the website here.

Share This

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Close